Solar Panel Maintenance: What’s Involved In Maintaining Your Solar Panel System
Modern solar panels have become considerably more durable, efficient and affordable for both residential and commercial markets in recent years. In fact, according to the clean energy regulator of Australia, nearly 30% of all homes now have some form of solar panel system installed.
If, like so many others, you have already installed your solar panel system or are considering purchasing one for your home, you’re probably wondering how to clean solar panels safely. That’s why we here at Hitech Solar decided to put together this guide on how to maintain solar panels effectively.
What causes problems for solar panels
Even though modern solar panels are better at withstanding extreme conditions than their predecessors, there are a few factors to consider if you are wondering how to maintain solar panels:
- Dust, dirt and debris
Although dust isn't harmful in its own right, it can interfere with the running of the solar system as it blocks sunlight. Additionally, debris can potentially cause scratches and damage to the panels — so cleaning off both dust and debris regularly is important to keep your system at its maximum efficiency.
- Bird droppings
If you live in an area that is popular with birds, then you’d best keep an eye on your panels. Bird droppings can block solar panels energy- producing cells and can be stubborn to remove.
- Heavy pollution If you live in a heavily polluted area, soot and other pollutants may gather on your panels and make them less efficient. If you live in an area with a decent amount of rainfall your panels will not
require too much special attention, especially if you have them mounted on a tilted surface; the rain can do much of the heavy lifting for you. However, if you don’t receive regular rainfall, you may want to consider hosing down your solar system at least monthly to make sure none of these problems become an issue.
How to clean solar panels safely yourself
Now you know what the potential problems are, it's time we focused on how to clean solar panels effectively. This is our step by step guide to cleaning your panels yourself.
1. Assess your panels — Are you comfortable with reaching them where they are mounted? Have the panels sustained any damage recently? Is there a large amount of debris on the panels?
- Prepare yourself to clean the panels — If you’re planning to clean the panels yourself, always take a partner to hold the ladder, pass your cleaning equipment, etc. This way, there will always be someone to call for help should anything go wrong.
- Gather your equipment — Solar panels should not require much more than a light clean. Always be sure not to use abrasive cleaning products such as wire brushes or bleach to clean your panels. Instead, opt for sponges and a simple detergent.
- Clear any excess debris from the panels – Use a soft-bristled broom or a leaf blower to remove any dirt or debris on top of the panels.
- Clean carefully and slowly — Using the recommended equipment, slowly clean your panels and use plenty of warm water to wash them down afterwards.
And there you go — that’s how to clean solar panels. But if any aspect of this process seems daunting, do the right thing and call in the professionals. With regular visits from the professionals at Hitech Solar, you can rest assured that your panels are kept in top working order.
How to maintain solar panels effectively
As you can see, maintaining solar panels shouldn’t require a great deal of your time. All the solar systems we sell at Hitech Solar also come equipped with WIFI monitoring as standard. This program can inform you of your solar panel’s current efficiency and power output.
If you think there is any serious problem with your panels, such as extreme power output failure, be sure to contact your installer. It may be dangerous for you to fix, and the system will come with a warranty attached to it, which should cover the relevant repairs. Also, be sure you add your solar panels to your home insurance in case of any serious damage caused by adverse
Contact the professionals to see the real benefits of solar panel cleaning
At Hitech Solar, we offer high quality yet affordable packages to help you with the process of maintaining solar panels. Our focus is on providing thorough cleaning and maintenance of your solar system, ensuring it is carried out in a safe and non-harmful manner to your property. Contact us today for more information about our maintenance services so that you can truly reap the
benefits of solar panel cleaning.